LED lights are the new norm for lighting solutions in today’s time and these are all things more than just energy saving devices. We have curated this blog just with this in mind to inform you about all the interesting facts related to LED bulbs that will amaze you undoubtedly. If you have not yet switched to the use of these, then definitely once you complete reading this blog, you will be motivated enough to do so without any further delay.
So let’s begin!
- The first LED bulb was invented by Professor Nick Holonyak in 1962 for General Electric.
- LED bulbs last 10 times longer than ordinary bulbs or halogens, that too by using as less as 25% of the energy. This makes these cheaper for long-term usage while costing a little higher than incandescent bulbs. With indigenious production of LED bulbs in rural as well as semi-urban areas, the cost of the LED bulbs are set to gradually decrease and become cheaper in the future.
- You would be disheartened to know that only about 10% of the total energy that is fed into a normal incandescent bulb is converted for usage, but on the contrary almost 100 percent of this energy is consumed as light by LED bulbs.
- Another reason why LED bulbs are more popular is because of the fact that these do not contain mercury and almost 95% of an LED bulb can be recycled. This clearly indicates the amount of wastage an incandescent bulb causes. Not just mercury, a large amount of electronic waste in the fluorescent tube of a CFL bulb causes concern for environmentalists. So, you can well imagine the huge amount of waste created every month.
- LED lights are popular because of their versatility as well. These are easy to maintain while being long-lasting and can be used in areas beyond lighting spaces as well. These are being used to light watches, transmit data in remote controls, power traffic lights, illuminate digital clocks, as well as in TV screens.
- If you take safety concerns into consideration then here is a good news for you. LED bulbs are not subjected to damage from external shock. If you happen to drop an incandescent bulb, you will have to clear up broken glass pieces. If it is a CFL bulb then there is risk of mercury contamination as well. But all these cases are eliminated with the usage of LED bulbs.
- One of the best reasons why the use of LED lights are being favoured is because of the fact that these emit less amount of heat in comparison to incandescent bulbs, and therefore if you are using these in your rooms, then your rooms are not at the risk of turning hotter in the summer months .
- The usage of LED bulbs in fresh food displays has shown lesser breeding of bacteria in comparison to the usage of fluorescent or halogen bulbs.
- LED lighting solutions have a smaller environmental footprint compared to their counterparts like incandescent bulbs. The reason behind this is that LED bulbs do not contain mercury or harmful chemicals like cadmium and lead. The energy efficiency of LED bulbs enable them to have a reduced environmental footprint.
- LED bulbs have proven to last longer than ordinary bulbs or CFLs for that matter. This means that you pay for something that has tested durability and is value for money.
- Not just the savings on purchase of a new bulb faster, LED bulbs also have a reduced power consumption record, therefore, relieving the stress on the production of power. This is the reason why the adoption of LED bulbs are being given so much importance due to the sustainability that it will offer to the power consumption and power producing resources.
- Tired of waiting for the lights to turn on even after putting the switch on? The wait is over with LED lights. Instant brightness is just a switch away now. Also, frequent on and off can reduce the shelf life of incandescent or CFL bulbs, but you will not have to worry about that with LED bulbs.
- How annoying would it be if you were enjoying a cool summer evening on your porch and bugs were to disturb you by getting attracted by the light in the porch area! This will never be the case if you are using LED bulls, because a study has shown that LED bulbs do not attract bugs as they lack infrared and ultraviolet emissions.
These are more or less all the facts that we could get hold of for you. If you think, there’s something more that you can add to the list, you mention it in the comments. Happy reading!